Once a student has finished his or her undergraduate studies (with a major such as chemistry, civil engineering, ecology, geology, environmental sciences, or atmospheric sciences), he or she may apply to a graduate program specifying in the study of hydrology. The school will no doubt be a major research university, where top researchers make their residence. Students will develop relationships with these prominent figures and assist them in field and laboratory research. Once a student attains a Masters or PhD, he or she will be ready for entry-level work in the hydrological field. Whether a student has completed the Masters or PhD will determine what level of work and what pay scale he or she may be entitled to, the PhD obviously taking preference.